Thursday, September 10, 2009

Real Object Along with Pictures

Section Two of the DAP online course has a wonderful videoclip of a teacher describing the advantages of using real starfish and shells along with magnifying glasses and a microscope with pictures. Children are also shown using the real objects and tools. This videoclip is an excellent way to illustrate the importance of using real objects or three dimensional representations when real is not possible as opposed to using two-dimensional pictures alone.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Moe,

    What do you know about the Infant Development Association? I am finding that with my current job I think I need to learn more about 0-5 and mental health. I just joined the association and am planning on attending one of the workshops that they offer. I want to learn more and am looking into classes that I can take. One of my Professors emailed me the IDA information and thought that I would be suited for an infant mental health worker. I have the IDA information and plan on contacting them to find out what classes I need to take and see if this is something that I want to pursue. I was just woundering if you know anything about the association.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty,

    That Association is new to me. I would be interested in finding our more about it. Please let us know what you find out.

    Have you heard about the new Infant/Toddler Learning and Development Foundation published by the California Department of Education? In conjunction with this document WestED is offering Infant and Toddler Learning and Development Seminars that are subsidized and are offered at a small fee. You can check it out at www.pitc.org. Dr. Moe

    ReplyDelete